The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Foster The People Evolve their Sound with their new EP III

YouTube

Foster The People currently consists of lead vocalist Mark Foster, lead guitarist Sean Cimino, keyboardist Isom Innis, and drummer Mark Pontius.

Andy Barron

Andy Barron

Avery Taylor, Writer

Ever since their debut album, Torches, released in 2011, I’ve been an avid fan of Foster The People, the band mostly known for their hit song, “Pumped Up Kicks.” In science class on April 27th, I got three notifications from YouTube that this indie pop/alternative band released three new songs, and after three years of no new music from them, I grew ecstatic.

After the release of the 2013 album, Supermodel, people became skeptical of their sound, and how they may need to change it up to keep fans interested.

“It’s definitely a good record, but they really need to mix things up and add a little bit of flare, or else they’re going to get stale really quickly,” said a YouTuber that goes by ARTV when reviewing Supermodel.

Foster The People listened to the constructive criticism, and four years later released III, the prelude to their new album coming out this summer. They are still staying true to their original sound on this EP, but added many different hip hop aspects and guitar driven sounds to give it that “flare” people were looking for.

“Pay The Man” is the first song to play, and is definitely the best song lyrically. It talks about navigating the world with those you love, especially when times are tough. The chorus alone serves as a reminder that no matter how hard times are, things will get better. As far as instrumentals go, they used similar sound effects from “Call It What You Want” on Torches, but added a very different spin that took people by surprise. The song starts out with horns playing, but quickly twists into a hip-hop beat that continues through most of the song.

“One of my favorite things about music is that it’s unifying. We wrote these songs to reflect joy in a time where people have needed it more than ever, and we thought it was a good time to share them with you,” Foster The People tweeted.

“Doing It For The Money” is the next song on the EP. Lyrically, this song reminds listeners to live life to the fullest, and also refers to being driven by experience, whether positive or negative, instead of money. This song has to be the strongest when it comes to verses, with verses being spoken to the corresponding beat, and the chorus being upbeat and bursting instrumentally.

The third and final song on III is titled “S.H.C.,” which is an abbreviation for “Sacred Heart’s Club,” the rumored title of the album coming this summer. This song is about both whom Mark Foster has a relationship with. The relationship aspect of the song captures the wonder of loving someone and struggling to overcome the loss when they leave. Instrumentally, this song includes guitar and other sounds similar to Phoenix and Two Door Cinema Club songs.

Foster The People has shown that they can evolve their sound with this EP release, and fans are on the edge of their seat to see what comes this summer.