The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

A Deafening Silence

PV's GSA and friends gather at the Breaking Of The Silence party.

Christopher Binegar, Writer

Every year on April 21st, people around the world participate in The Day of Silence.

The Day of Silence is a day commemorating people in the LGBTQ+ community that are forced to be silent everyday, just in order to remain safe and to not be judged by their peers.

People can participate by wearing red, or by remaining silent for the day to symbolize the people in the community.

At Perkiomen Valley High School, students are encouraged to sign up so they can remain silent. At the end of the day, the GSA will be holding a Breaking  of the Silence party, where the members will be speaking about the troubles of LGBTQ+ individuals.

“The Day of Silence, to me, is an event that sheds light on all the people throughout the years that have been silenced.” says junior Lynzie Marchesani

The Day of Silence is a student-led event, used to bring attention to name-calling, bullying, and harassment of LGBTQ+ individuals. This event helps bring attention to what people would normally throw under the bus.

When participating, students are expected to remain silent for the whole day. This represents the silencing effect the bullying causes, and is suppose to make students think about it.

“To me, the Day of Silence can help society by making these bullying cases seen. The silence, I feel, has a really deep impact because bullying really does cause kids to keep quiet. They don’t want the bullying to get worse, so they keep their head down and stay quiet. I think this event brings light to that, as it should.” an anonymous student said.

The main point of the day is to spread awareness on LGBTQ+ harassment and to get students, teachers, and administrators to recognize these bullying cases. It is also to remember those of the LGBTQ+ community that have been murdered, or who have committed suicide.

The Day of Silence is a powerful movement of youth activism. To me, it provides hope and faith in our future. When I see students stand up and stand together, I know we have movement and growth. That’s all I can wish for in this world: growth.  Having this growth be for positive change in young people’s lives is the best thing for all. You are the future. This is your world you build,” Ms. Coryat, an English teacher at Perk Valley, said.

Coming together and standing up for what students believe in is another reason the day was celebrated. The day is about progressing and moving forward; trying to make society more open minded. So much pain can be easily avoided if society were to grow, and hear the youth’s message.

This Day of Silence, get out there and join the cause. Tell others about it, spread awareness. No one deserves to be ridiculed for who they are.