The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Alexandra Savior Releases Debut Album ‘Belladonna of Sadness’

Alexandra Savior's Belladonna of Sadness album cover. A debut album full of mystery and love.

Wikipedia

Sean Matthews, Writer

Alexandra Savior’s debut album, Belladonna of Sadness, is nothing but calm. Released on April 7, 2017, the LP brings stories about love and relationships to life.

Savior was recently signed to Columbia Recorders, allowing her to develop a mastered album in Los Angeles alongside producers Alex Turner and James Ford, who also play big roles in the creation of the Arctic Monkeys.  

Heavy bass, drums and subtle hints of organ can be found in most songs of Belladonna of Sadness, giving the songs a vintage yet mystery-esque type genre. To be honest, the album would be the perfect soundtrack to the next Scooby Doo movie.

“The first time somebody ever asked me that question,” says Savior after being asked to describe her music, “I said it was like being in the middle of a desert and being abducted and opening up to a realm, like a desert realm, where there’s a bar with no body in it and it’s dark and there’s a dark red light in the corner with a woman crooning, I guess, in a long black dress.”

“Shades” was the first song released by Alexandra mid 2016, and later found it’s way on the completed album. The song delivers vintage melodies and lyrics based around what seems to be a stale relationship. “M.T.M.E”, her second single, displays similar characteristics except with a little more bass and a lot more charm.

“Mystery Girl”, another single released alongside the album announcement, is by far the most calming of the album. The track creates dark yet fulfilling images in the listener’s mind, putting you in a dream like state. Not only is it soft, the song can put you asleep before you can even come close to the bridge.

Other songs like “Cupid”, “Girlie” and “Audeline” definitely take it slower than the rest of the songs in the album, while songs like “Bones” and “Frankie” tend to slightly speed up the record.

“Mirage”, by far the most underappreciated song on the album, is nothing but a masterpiece. Each lyric is amazingly sophisticated and is clearly well thought out. Out of all of Alexandra’s songs, “Mirage” would most likely be played on the corner stage of a dim, late night bar.

And last, but hopefully not least, the songs “‘Till You’re Mine” and “Vanishing Point” are songs you want to get stuck in your head. The tracks are subtle yet pack a few high notes within the choruses.

“I think this album is pretty amazing.” says Jessica Matthews, an avid music lover. “By far, my favorite song off the album is ‘Cupid’ because I like the chorus. ‘Cupid shoots to kill’ is a very real and easily connectable quote.”

Overall, Belladonna of Sadness is nothing shy of a masterpiece. Each song has its obvious differences while all representing a solid theme at the same time. I definitely recommend looking into this album and listening to it on repeat for hours on end.