The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Career Study Set to Begin Next Week

Mrs. Colucci, Career Study/Graduation Project Coordinator helping students attend the program. 309 seniors will be going on Career Study starting May 15th.

Dolly Lopez

Dolly Lopez

Dolly Lopez, Writer

Career study is a program where senior students can apply for a career of interest to participate in an internship and have the opportunity to leave school three weeks early. This means that the student would meet with their specific career sponsor within their career area of interest. The student would have to send out a letter of interest as well as a resume. The student meets with their career sponsor to develop goals and gain a better understanding of their career of interest.

This unpaid program is designed to provide a successful work experience for students. There are other factors that come into play that would allow certain students to participate in the program. Those factors include a 70% or above cumulative grade average and all of the paperwork filled out before or on the due date. Also the direct supervisor must have clearances on file with Perkiomen Valley School District and the parents of the student must provide a notarized permission form. Lastly, the student must secure all of their teachers’ signatures which is attached to the paperwork.

Opinions vary about the Career Study program on whether this kind of opportunity is actually helpful for students or students are not given the same opportunity as they should receive.

Daphne Marquis is a senior at Perkiomen Valley High School that is participating in career study. When asked her opinion on the program she said,

“I think it’s a great opportunity for us to find out what we like, what we don’t like, and what direction we can go moving forward without being in a school environment.”

When asked the same question, Ryan Klosinski, also a senior said

“I think it’s a great opportunity for students to get out in the field that they are going to be studying in college. It shows them early on what they will be doing.”

However, other students of PV have different opinions on the matter.

V.J. Gonzolez gave his opinion by saying,

“I personally think while career study is good to have, there’s [sic] quite a bit of requirements that come with it. When there’s a 70% collective minimum, there’s going to be many kids who can’t make that marker. Those kids then don’t get the same opportunity as their respective peers. I’d just like to see everyone have the option to study what they’re interested in. A ‘waste of time’ might be a little too far, but many kids have after school activities too. Sports and work take up time also and have to be acknowledged.”

Some students are not given the same opportunity to enter the program because of after school activities and jobs.  Also their work ethic and grades might be lower than other kids, making those students unable to attend the program. Some students meet the requirements and are happy to attend the program but other students are sadly disadvantaged. ⬥