The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Success of Freshman-Sophomore Dance To Be Determined

Posters with information about the dance can be found all over the school.

Jewel Miller, Writer

In recent years, the interest-level in the dances at Perkiomen Valley, aside from prom and homecoming, has gone down dramatically. This decrease in enthusiasm is becoming more and more prevalent, especially with the upcoming Freshman-Sophomore dance.

“I feel like some people are interested but most just aren’t”, Says Emma Novak, a 9th grade PV student.

The semi-formal dance is scheduled for Friday, April 21st, at 7:00pm. Tickets are $10.00 and will be sold during lunches in the days leading up to the dance. The dance will be sponsored by Football Boosters.

One of the main speculations that has surfaced about the dance is whether or not it will end up actually happening. In recent months, school dances have been canceled due to low ticket sales. There seems to be no struggle to get students excited about prom or homecoming, but when it comes to any of the other dances throughout the year, students aren’t as enthusiastic. These feelings are sometimes fueled by the the amount of effort it takes to dress up nicely, find dates, organize carpools with friends, and simply show up. Unless they have a good reason, a lot of teens would rather just stay in a more relaxed environment, where they don’t feel pressured to do any of these things.

“It’s a little ridiculous”, freshman Valerie Balog exclaims, “Many people don’t want to go and the only ones that do almost all seem to be freshman. People are planning to just hang out with their friends at home rather than go.”

Students also tend to be less likely to show up to a dance that has a lower number of attendees, and most skip going altogether just because their friends aren’t there. This is one of the issues that could discourage someone from going to a school dance, even if they personally would like to.

“I think it’s cool but so many people don’t go”, said a PV Sophomore, “I went my freshman year, but nobody went and almost everyone left early. All the hype is just around homecoming and prom.”

The dance is often considered to be more of a freshman-event, although it is technically meant for both ninth and tenth graders. However, even the freshman have mixed feelings about it.

“I know a few people who wanted to go, and I would have liked to but won’t be able to”, Novak expressed, “I feel like people would like it better if you could bring people from other schools, or  if more people showed up. Personally, I think the dances are fun but it seems like most people don’t agree.”

Unfortunately, all the talk surrounding the Freshman-Sophomore Dance, and dances at Perkiomen Valley in general doesn’t seem to have encouraged any more people to attend other than those who were already planning on it. It looks as though the student’s interests will continue to shift to other activities, unless some extra interest-factor is added to any of the smaller upcoming dances.⬥