The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

PV Boys Basketball Beats Neshaminy in Overtime Craziness

Olivia MacDonald and Makayla Davis, Writers

On Monday, February 6, the Perkiomen Valley Vikings Boys Basketball Team clinched a tough win against Neshaminy High School after going into overtime.

The game was extremely close throughout and Neshaminy put up a big fight. Chris Arcidiacono, the brother of a famous Villanova champion, and Justin Jaworski, PV’s star senior, were two of the biggest leading scorers for their teams, each with over 20 points.

“I thought in the beginning of the game, it was a little slow and it was too close to call, but they were a tough team to beat, but we did it,” sophomore and forward Tyler Strechay said.

With a final score of 70-64, the Vikings triumphed over the Falcons in an overtime game. At the end of the fourth quarter, the score was 55-55, and both teams received a chance to live up to their legacy and beat their opponent. But, in the end, PV came out on top by 6 points.

Both teams came together as one, communicated with each other, and tried their hardest to conquer the other team. 3 pointers and many foul shots were made during this nail biter of a game. Both head coaches felt the pressure of some of the ref’s questionable calls and the players’ decisions to try and not get the fouls.

“I thought the refs were making some bad calls and the rest of the student section and I were especially mad at the the calls against our team. Many fouls and travelling by the Neshaminy players were being ignored,” Freshman, Lauren Gwilliam, a devoted game-goer said.

Even the refs could not deter the sheer talent that many of the players portrayed on Tuesday night.

Sophomore Tyler Strechay comments, “I made a couple three pointers, but overall, our shooting could have been a little higher to beat the other team by more. Also, our defense should have been able to stop their plays and scoring much more during the game.”

The foul shots during overtime were extremely important to the Vikings because that was what won them the game. Each crowd’s spectators lost their voice by the end of the game from the constant up and down of the score. One minute, PV was winning by 5, and the next, Neshaminy had the lead. By the end of the game the little one or two pointers weren’t doing much, if the team wanted to win the game.

Dolly Lopez, a senior in the student section that night, exclaimed, “At the end, I was excited that we got many more points because they continued to keep fouling us and allowing us to score more points, to eventually beat them.”

This game against Neshaminy High School will lead up to a big game against Perkiomen Valley’s biggest rival,  the Spring-Ford Rams on Tuesday, February 14th.  This game is the biggest, not only because it is PV’s rival but the PAC 10 title will be on the line.

Perkiomen Valley Vikings have had a great season so far and the school is looking forward to see what the rest of the seas brings for the team.