The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Twenty One Pilots Blows Away Fans with the Emotional Roadshow Tour

Tyler Joseph is seen wearing his

Tyler Joseph is seen wearing his "Lane Boy" outfit with Josh Dun drumming in the background at the Allentown show.

Brad Heaton

Brad Heaton

Avery Taylor, Writer

Twenty One Pilots kicked off the year with the continuation of their Emotional Roadshow Tour, their largest tour yet.

On January 24th, 2017, the two band members -Tyler Joseph and Joshua Dun- along with the opening acts, Judah & The Lion and Jon Bellion visited the PPL Center in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Together, they created a show like no other.

The show began with Judah & The Lion, an alternative folk band, playing five of their original songs, as well as two covers. They began with “Suit and Jacket,” with “Conversations,” following. They brought the audience a laugh by covering “Booty Wurk,” by T-Pain. The band continued with their song “Reputation,” and followed with a cover of “Mr. Brightside,” by The Killers. The band then closed with “Rich Kids,” and their hit song “Take It All Back.” Overall, Judah & The Lion kept the crowd excited and entertained them, as an opening act should.

Jon Bellion took the stage soon after Judah & The Lion closed, performing eight of his original songs, including his double platinum record, “All Time Low,” and his other hit song “Guillotine.” Travis Mendes accompanied him as well, adding two cents to the songs that he wasn’t featured in. Bellion changed up the genres for this concert by bringing in a hip hop and contemporary R&B style that his songs have. However, he used more pre-recorded audio rather than singing and rapping live, which took away from the feeling that it was live.

Twenty One Pilots then made their entrance with a unique spin, displaying the circles on their most recent album, Blurryface, on the black curtain covering the stage. Once all nine circles appeared on the curtain, they moved to the bottom, turning red and coming together. Once they disappeared, a new moving image appeared. It looked like the Blurryface album art, but the circles were mashed together, creating a face, presumably the character “Blurryface,” and began rapping a verse of “Fairly Local.” After the second-to-last lyric, the image disappeared spontaneously. The black curtain then fell, revealing a drumming Josh Dun and a lit up stage as the instrumentals of “Fairly Local” played in the background. The instrumentals of “Fairly Local” then shifted to “Heavydirtysoul” as Tyler Joseph took the stage, starting the show.

The setlist was filled with variety from three albums: Blurryface, Vessel, and the self-titled album. The two songs from Regional At Best, “Kitchen Sink,” and “Forest,” were removed from the 2017 setlist in order to make time for a Mario Kart 64 competition between Tyler Joseph and the Mario Kart 64 champion in the area. (Unfortunately, at the Allentown show, they experienced technical difficulties, so they changed it to a rock-paper-scissors battle.) The setlist was made up of five covers, and eighteen of their original songs.

One important attribute to a concert is the visuals, and the Twenty One Pilots crew displayed stunning visuals in the background of each song. The lights and designs were truly mesmerizing, and they were even in sync with the songs.

Joseph and Dun also made sure that everyone in the crowd was still full of energy by bringing out many of their known antics. During “Holding On To You,” Joseph stood on his piano, and Dun joined him, doing a back flip that left the crowd roaring. Joseph also disappeared offstage before reappearing seconds later in a different area of the venue for both “Hometown,” and “Car Radio.” After the duo performed “Guns For Hands,” a remix of the song began to play, and Tyler Joseph’s cousin, Joseph, rolled out into the crowd in a human-sized hamster ball. Dun also had a drum battle with himself. He drummed live against a pre-recording of himself and won. All of these fun stunts kept the audience’s energy going.

As the duo closed with their traditional closing song, “Trees,” they moved to opposite sides of the pit, each with a bass drum. Their fans held them up and everyone on the floor moved in closer to see Joseph and Dun up close. Their crew filled the top of the drums with water, and they began to drum in the rhythmic beat of the song as confetti shot from the stage.

Overall, the show was stunning, energetic, and, most of all, emotional (hence the name). The visuals were aesthetically pleasing, and both Joseph and Dun’s performances were extravagant.