The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Perkiomen Valley Takes Charge at 2017 Bears High School Invitational

Nicholas James Klobusicky and Cole Sambrick

The Perkiomen Valley High School winter track team is once again successful in their recent invitational at Ursinus College on January 15, 2017.

The meet began with the boys team finishing 20th on the 4×800 meter relay. Before the event first time runner Keith Langkan was asked how he felt about his first event and replied, “I don’t have any idea what I’m doing”. This lack of confidence showed as he was then lapped, creating a difficult gap to close.

The boys performed well for the rest of the track events, but usually not well enough to place in the top 10 for standings. David Singleton finished 12th overall but was 3rd in his heat for the Boys 4×200, an event he does not typically run.

However, the boys team began to shine in the field events. Sophomore Cole Peterlin performed well, finishing 2nd overall with 8 points in the Boys High Jump.

Throwers Connor Cummings and Edem Asamoa from West Chester Rustin  took the top two positions in shot put. The gap between them and third place finalist Olatide Abinusawa from Germantown Academy was significant, with Edem throwing 51-06.25 and Olatide 46-09.50.

While the boys team for Perkiomen Valley performed well, it was the girls team that really stood out. Boy’s runner David Woiden said, “Our distance girls are probably the best in the PAC”, referring to PV’s division.

The girls 55 Meter Hurdle preliminaries were quite the spectacle as three contestants truly stood out. Finishing first in the prelims was PV sophomore Christina Warren, finishing with a time of 8.28s. Senior Taliah Clintron and junior Cameron Lucey finished 2nd and 3rd, both from Padua Academy.

In the 55 Meter Hurdle finals the competition was once again close. The gun was fired and Warren flew down the track, clearing every hurdle in her way to clock in a time of 8.26s. Cameron’s time took a hit after getting her foot caught on a hurdle but with a quick recovery was able to place 5th overall. Clintron placed second again with an impressive time of 8.36s but it was not enough to take first.

The girls mile was equally as impressive and if not more intense than the performances seen during the 55 Meter Hurdles. The first heat was a close fought battle with the gap between first and second place being a mere 3 seconds, a gap only achieved on the last of 8 laps.

The second heat was even more exciting than the previous as the gap between first and second was a mere .03 of a second, but ultimately won by senior Madison Shuler of the Delaware Military Academy. The third heat was much like the first.

The fourth heat is where things turned up a notch. The race started with Annie Glodek, a senior from PV who recently went to nationals for cross country, taking a spot in fourth and holding it for most of the first lap. On the second she quickly took 3rd, and on the next lap 2nd. It was after another two laps that she seized 1st, where she stayed until the final lap. The race seemed to belong to Glodek but a little under halfway through the final lap Rachel Vick had begun to close the gap. In a stunning performance Vick kept speeding up as they rounded the final turn and took 1st place, and kept it.

Rachel Vick, senior from Kingsway High School, finished at the top of the standings with a time of 5:09.12. Cross Country Nationalist Annie Glodek finished 2nd after an impressive run for a time of 5:13.51. After all, this was her first track event and was successful with her goals as she was “looking for a good time to open my season”.

As for girls field events, PV junior Rachel Daniels placed an impressive 3rd in Girls High Jump with a score of 5-01.00. She cleared the bar on all of her attempts. When asked what she did well she replied, “I had the right drive, I had my knee drive going. I gathered good and had a steady approach”.

Perkiomen Valley High School winter track team had an overall great performance in the meet at Ursinus College. They had rough start but the boys team picked it up to place well in the rest of the events and the rest girls team had a stellar performance.