The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

‘Passengers’ Movie Review

Filmaffinity.com

Filmaffinity.com

Dolly Lopez, Writer

‘Passengers’ directed by Morten Tyldum starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence is science fiction adventure and with an interesting love story.

This movie falls into the science fiction and fantasy genre with the initial setting. Which is multiple years into the future and on a futuristic, technically advanced spaceship. But it also falls into a romance genre with the two main character’s intense attraction.  

The movie begins with the technically advanced spaceship seeking refuge on another Earth like planet. The ship is on it’s journey while the rest of the passengers and crew of the ship is in their own individual hibernation chambers.

One of the passenger’s hibernation chamber experiences technical difficulties and Jim, who is an engineer, wakes up while there is still 90 years left of the journey left to go. He is forced to spend the rest of his life on a journey without ever reaching the destination. Jim freaks out at first and tries to continue sleeping in his hibernation chamber but he could not figure out how it malfunctioned. Therefore, he wasn’t able to resume hibernating.

He then tries to make the most of it by enjoying being the only person in a luxurious spaceship. He plays the arcade games, eats at all the fancy restaurants, and makes himself comfortable in the most expensive rooms that he would not be able to afford otherwise.

What really struck the audience as an extremely emotional moment was that Jim was starting to lose his mind after 1 year or so of complete solitary. He went so far as to attempt suicide by leaving the spaceship without the space suit. The way he was experiencing an extreme internal struggle was very compelling.

He befriends a bar tending intelligent robot and pours out his heart and soul to it. He also comes across a hibernating woman, named Aurora, who struck his attention by her beauty. He studies her, researched all of the video blogs she’s submitted to the authorities of the space ship, and eventually falls in love with her. He tells his friend bar tending robot about his struggle of figuring what to do about his new love interest.

Jim can’t figure out whether to leave her alone or meddle with her hibernation chamber, waking her up. Jim knows that if he does wake her up, he is forcing her to spend the rest of her life imprisoned in the space ship without ever reaching the destination. What also drives this internal struggle is his extreme loneliness.

This loneliness also drives him to alter the settings of the hibernation chamber and wakes up Aurora.

He makes her believe that he doesn’t know the cause of her broken hibernation chamber and she reacts in the same way that Jim did when he first awoke. She goes a little crazy trying to go back to hibernation and trying to find any loopholes.

They eventually get close, start a relationship, and start their love story. He shows her all of the perks of being the only two people in the ship by eating in all the fancy restaurants, playing the arcade games, and venturing outside the spaceship.

Everything was going beautifully until the bar-tending robot told Aurora that Jim was the one who woke her up and that it wasn’t an accident. Aurora loses everything that she felt for Jim and gets infuriated with him for imprisoning her to the spaceship because of his selfish reasons. She also goes insane.

Aurora loses her mind because of being stuck in the ship for the rest of her life all because of somebody that she thought she loved. Her mental breakdowns would get so bad that she would attack Jim in his sleep and also almost tried to kill him.  

As Aurora attempts to piece her mental state back together, Jim and her have to team up. They discover that the safety of the ship is at stake. With the lives of the 5,000 sleeping passengers in grave danger, only Jim and Aurora can save them all. ⬥