The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Vikings vs. Vikings

Kristen Pelzer and Alex Strang, Writer

On Monday, January 9th Perkiomen Valley’s Middle School West faced off against Middle School East in a thrilling basketball game. The game took place at Middle School West.

Each game was close in the first half, the 8th graders from West pulling away in the 2nd half and the 7th graders from West just barely pulling out a win.

Josh Pelzer a player on the 7th grade West team says, “It was a lot of fun to play against the East team, I knew most of them so the competition was different than usual.”

The three leading players of the West team are Ethan Kohler, Dawson Debebe, and Josh Pelzer. Ethan is the power forward, Dawson is the center and Josh is a shooting guard. The top player of the East team was Zach Fusco. Zach Fusco is center. On the west team Ethan focused on rebounding any played the big man under the basket. His competition was Fusco the other team’s center. Dawson also played big man under the basket. Josh focused mainly on shooting three point shots but also threw up some lay-ups.

The final score of the 7th grade game was west with 30 and East with 19. West pulled away in the 2nd half  of the game. The halftime score was West with 12 and East with 14. During the second half West was on their game, putting up three three pointers, 5 layups, and 1 foul shot.

Star player Ethan Kohler says “I loved playing against my friends… it was fun to be able to play against people I actually knew.”

The players were very relaxed during the game. It was a major competition because of the rivalry but it was a fun game to watch because everybody was friends.

Pelzer said “Second place is the first loser, that’s why we didn’t lose.”

He enjoys joking around in friendly competition with the other team. Many of the players have known each other Elementry school. The coach however was nervous about the game.

Coach Mike said “I was frustrated by the game because we should have pulled away faster but in the end it was exactly what I expected.”

The coach has been known to be very dramatic when it comes to the team. He is a new coach that used to coach youth football. Sitting in the stands gives great insight into what the parents think of coach. The parents were also very happy with the game. Most of the parents knew all of the kids playing on either team so they thought I was exciting to watch.

Colleen Pelzer, the mom of star player Josh Pelzer said “It was great watching the kids play each other, they all knew each other and you could see the difference in how they played.”

Many of the other parents had the same reaction to the game as Mrs. Pelzer. Throughout the stands you could hear parents commenting on how their kids were interacting. Many were laughing and others took to cheering on the opposite team. The whole room was just a friendly enviorment.

The next West game is Friday, January 27. The game is against Boyertown West and will be held at Boyertown West.