The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Boyertown JV Ice Hockey Team Claims Victory Over PV-VFMA

Jordan Schlachta and Cami Eberly

Jordan Schlachta
Rob Farrington passes the puck up the ice to forward Adam Caracci.

Team captain Cole Novak (80) led the Boyertown ice hockey team to victory with a 7-3 win over PV-VFMA (Perkiomen Valley – Valley Forge Military Academy) on Saturday the 21st at Center Ice in Oaks. Boyertown was predicted to win with their record of 5-4-3 to PV-VFMA’s 5-6-1, and they didn’t disappoint.

The game was kicked off with a goal for Boyertown, made by Hunter Zeall (02)  and assisted by Novak about eight minutes into the game. PV-VFMA retaliated soon after with a goal by Joseph Figurelle (73) that was assisted by Braden Harmon (30) to tie the game up 1-1 for the first period. There were no penalties in the first period, but defensemen Argen Detoito (75) received a minor penalty for holding about 3 minutes into the second period.

The game picked up in the second period with four total points for Boyertown and only one for PV-VFMA, widening the score’s gap to 5-2. Three of the four points for Boyertown were made by Novak and the other was made by Michael Campbell (10). Forward Cole Whitman (44) assisted with 2 of those goals, as did Kyle Stephens (61). Bryce Soto (12) assisted Campbell about two minutes in, and Zeall contributed to Cole Novak’s second goal.

PV-VFMA’s only goal for the period was made by forward Rene Gurega (78) seven minutes into the period, and was unassisted.

At the start of the second period, Whitman had a breakaway down the ice with an attempt at a goal, but PV-VFMA goalie Zach Shepkar (27), made the save. Oliver Duffy is the usual goalie of the team, but he was unable to play that day, so Shepkar took his place. There was 24 shots on goal by Boyertown, and Shepkar was able to save 17 of them.

Right into the third period, Gurega made another goal with assists by Michael D’Angelo and Jordan Siegfried, bringing the score to 5 – 3. Boyertown followed close behind with Novak scoring and Stephens assisting him once again. PV-VFMA was unable to get another goal past Boyertown goalie Sean Quinn, who made a total of nine saves in the game, three of which were in the last period. Boyertown scored one last time by Kalyn Mackey who was assisted by Noah Miller, to bring the final score to 7 – 3 with Boyertown coming out on top.

“We definitely tried”, Gurega, the captain of PV-VFMA, commented. “We could have skated a little better, moved the puck around a little better, but we tried.”

Gurega, originally from Slovakia, attends Valley Forge Military Academy and led the team’s goals for the game, like with a flawless one-timer at the blue line during the second period.  He was briefly injured during that period when he was slammed into the boards and reopened an old injury he suffered earlier in the season, but he recovered quickly to finish out the rest of the game.

During the third period, the teams started to get more restless with PV-VFMA receiving two penalties, and Boyertown receiving three. Each team had two misconduct penalties; Adam Wracher of PV-VFMA sat out for a total 12 minutes, for combined boarding and boarding misconduct penalties. Adam Walter of Boyertown received a cross checking penalty, and Garitt Pickford had a combined penalty as well, with 12 minutes total for checking from behind (minor and misconduct penalties).

Boyertown was guided by Head Coach John Brown and Assistant Coach David McGuffin. PV-VFMA is guided by Head Coach Jack Furst and Assistant Coaches Brennan McCourt and Todd Wochok.

The season is not over yet though, for PV-VFMA competes against Spring-Ford next, on Saturday, January 28th. They have already made the playoffs, but if Spring-Ford wins the game, Boyertown is not in the playoffs. If Spring-Ford loses and Boyertown wins their next game on February 4th against Downingtown East JV White, they will join PV-VFMA in the playoffs. ◆