The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Boyertown Wrestling Takes Win Against Perk Valley

Ellie Natoli and Emily Wehrli

Boyertown Area High School took on Perkiomen Valley this past Saturday at PVHS for a wrestling match.  PV lost the home match with a total score of 46-18 between the two teams.

Before the start of the event, the Boyertown team warmed up and prepared for their matches. They began with three JV matches before varsity. PV was able to win one of the three JV matches and after that they called out the varsity lineup.

Evan Mortimer got the match started with a 9-7 decision at 145 against Drew Rowley.  Boyertown was winning back to back matches in the beginning. The first six wrestlers the team sent out won their respective matches, scoring them a total of 31 points until Gavin Euker, a freshman from Perk Valley stepped onto the mat. His opponent was Mason Grohoski.

Euker has been wrestling for 10 years and is in the weight class of 220. “When I win a match it feels like all the hard work really pays off.”  He was the first wrestler of the day to get PV on the scoreboard by winning his match 6-1. Euker won the match by pinning his opponent.

The next wrestlers up were PJ Kakos from Perk Valley and Chase Stechmen from Boyertown in the 106 weight class. Kakos scored 3 points while Stechmen scored 0. Kakos won the match with multiple takedowns and Stechmen lost because of multiple contact warnings.  Pj’s “good hips” are what won him the match.

Broc Babb and Chris Berry followed up with pins before Jacob Miller earned a 9-1 major decision and Elijah Jones scored a first period fall. The Bears named Chris Berry the wrestler of the week after this weekend’s match.  He scored 6 points against PV Viking, Jacob Sturm in the weight class of 160.   He scored multiple takedowns in the beginning of his match, but took the victory with a pin.  

The Boyertown Bears’ wrestling team are PAC-10 and District 1 AAA Duals Champions and are lead by their coach Pete Ventresca and their five assistant coaches, Tony Haley, John Cooley, Dave Jones, Adam Kolb, and Mike Spaid.  

Perkiomen Valley’s head coach, Jared Dubbs gave his team a short talk after the match. “This isn’t the outcome we wanted today, but it could’ve been worse.  We fought hard today.” He always expects his athletes to work hard and made sure they all knew they were expected at practice the following Monday to improve their skills for next time.

On Wednesday, January 25, the Perkiomen Valley Vikings will compete in a match against their rival school, the Spring-Ford Rams. Boyertown’s next match will be held against Owen J. Roberts.

The final scores for each individual match were as follows: in weight class 145, Evan Mortimer dec. Drew Rowley, 9-7. In weight class 152, Broc Babb pinned Matthew Wrzesniewski, 2:27 (9-0). Wrestling in weight class 160, Chris Berry pinned Jacob Sturm, 0:58 (15-0).  In the 170 weight class, Jacob Miller maj. dec. Willie Mathis, 9-1 (19-0). In 182, Elijah Jones pinned Jakob Sterling, 1:19 (25-0).  Weight class 195 gave Michael Porreca the win by a forfeit (31-0) In the highest weight class wrestled that day, 220, Gavin Euker pinned Mason Grohoski, 3:21 (31-6). Wrestling in weight class 106, P.J. Kakos dec. Chase Stehman, 7-5 (31-9).  Wrestling at 113, Matt Wilde won by technical fall over Stephen Coleman, 19-4 4:20 (36-9).  In weight class 120, Charles Sithens pinned Connor Neiswender, 4:30 (36-15).  The 126 weight class wrestler David Campbell won by forfeit (42-15). At 132, Austin Rowley dec. Aidan Hager, 5-4 (42-18).  Finally, at 138, Brett Breidor maj. dec. Riley Kershaw, 13-1 (46-18)