The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Multiple Wins Pulled Out At Perkiomen Valley Track Meet

Avery Taylor and Sean Matthews

With the winter track season entering its halfway point, the Perkiomen Valley girls team is holding their own at the meets, including their most recent meet.

On Sunday, January 15th, the boys and girls of winter track competed at Ursinus College against multiple schools within the tri-state area.

“It was the first meet for most of us,” says Annie Glodeck, a senior runner at Perkiomen Valley. “We were trying to make it count.”

Glodeck took second place in the 1600m run with a personal record time of 5:10. The first place winner was from a school in New Jersey that was unable to be found. Sophomore Christina Warren also took first place in the 55m hurdles race.

Not everyone in the meet had a leading run. The girls 4x800m relay (made up of Ana Sokolowski, Deanna Johns, McKenzie Heaps and Avery Taylor) took 11th place out of 11 when competing in the second heat.

“We weren’t anywhere near first, but we put up a good fight,” said Avery Taylor, freshman runner and anchor of the relay. “I also got a personal record for the season so it was fine for me.”

Either way, the meet was still entertaining to watch. Audience members were very excited to watch the competitors and happy to see their close friends and family in the competition.

“It was enjoyable for the first few races that I stayed for,” said Matthew Taylor, a spectator.

Glodeck’s personal record time was pleasing to the coach of the distance team, as well as the PV girls team.

“She makes me proud,” said Benjamin Giess, the distance coach. “Seeing someone improve makes me feel like I’m doing my job right.”

The meet wasn’t perfect for the PV girls team, but it did bring them closer to the winter track championships, where each school’s top runners will compete to see which school would be the winter track champions.