The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

The Valley Takes A Win

Freshman Girls Basketball Team Wins Against Owen J. Roberts

The Perk Valley freshman girls basketball team won at Friday’s game against Owen J Roberts High School with a final score of 39-18.

The game took place on January 20th at 3:45 in the Perkiomen Valley High School competition gym.

“I  think we did really well. They tried to press us to try to get some points and we beat the press really well. I thought our defense was really good; the girls were moving to the positions they needed to go to shut them down so I was really proud of them”, says Mrs. Gail Davis,  the team’s coach.

The game had a lot of good scores throughout. About halfway through the second quarter, Sam Nuneviller (#14) accepted a pass from player Kaleigh Funk (#4), who was heavily flanked by several Owen J Robert’s players, and scored. Towards the end of the quarter, Lindsay Hartman (#15)  intercepted a pass to an OJR player, dribbled down the court and made another basket. Both Hartman and Nuneviller have typically been high scorers for the team. Players #22 and #42 on the Owen J Roberts team also took charge on the court during the first half of the game.

The game started out pretty close, as the two teams tied mid-way through the second quarter and then Perk Valley began to outplay Owen J Roberts. By halftime, the Vikings managed to take a significant lead with a score of 21-9. They remained in the lead throughout the third and fourth quarters.

“It went out a little slow. We started the first quarter with [a score of] 5-4 so neither team was really showing a lot of spark,” Davis commented, “but the second quarter we came on pretty strong which was great.”

The Perkiomen Valley team so far has had an overall successful season. Currently, they’ve only taken one loss in a game against Spring-Ford School District. All the players have made significant efforts to improve their teamwork and performance this season as well.

“Our season right now, we’re 6-1 which I think is really good. We only have one loss. The team we played on Friday, we had played early on as one of our scrimmages and we’ve made a lot of improvements since then so, like I said, I was very proud of the way the team played,” Davis remarked.

Their win against Owen J Roberts only added to Perkiomen Valley’s current success, with a season record of 6-1, and helped them with their goal for the season.

“The one goal we had was to win 75% of our games, yet we have only lost one so I guess my goal would be to not lose anymore,” Gabi Wilson.

The girls have been working very hard to improve their skills and hope to all make it on the Junior Varsity team next year.

“As a 9th grade team it’s really working on the basic skills to try to get them ready to move on up to the JV and the Varsity so that’s what we do”, says coach Davis, “we do a lot of repetition of things like certain skills and I think we’ve improved.”

The girls freshman basketball season will come to an end next week. Perkiomen Valley is currently scheduled to play Plymouth Whitemarsh High School, Abington High School, and Boyertown High School, as well as having another game against Owen J Roberts. The team hopes to continue playing well and end the season strong.◆