The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Vikings Defeat Bears in a Foul Game

The game was filled with many surprising events.

Readingphotos.com

Jenna Cortez and Bella Gallo

On Tuesday night the Perkiomen Valley girls junior varsity basketball team faced the Boyertown Bears junior varsity in a heated game held in the Perkiomen Valley High School Gymnasium. Both basketball teams played extremely aggressively and even the fans and parents were belligerent by the end of the game.

The game started off with Perkiomen Valley High School’s Paige Tyson scoring a two point shot after a quick rebound off of Boyertown player #25’s missed basket. Moments later Boyertown player #15 dove to the ground along with Perkiomen Valley player #23 Katie Hurd as both players scrambled for possession of the basketball. Perkiomen Valley gained possession of the ball as a foul was called against Boyertown. Perkiomen Valley’s sophomore player Katie Hurd made one of her two foul shots making the score 3-0. Shortly after, Boyertown made their first basket of the game coming from player #15 who scored two points for her team. Boyertown’s defense was strong but couldn’t stop Perkiomen Valley’s freshman students Kara Fusco and Riley McGettigan from scoring four more points for their team. Boyertown player #25 went for a 3 point shot but missed as the Perkiomen Valley fans jeered “Airballlllll!”. There were few minutes left in the first quarter when Boyertown called a timeout. The players returned to the court a minute later and Perkiomen Valley’s Paige Tyson scored another two points for her team. After Boyertown’s player #25 missed two more shots, Perkiomen Valley’s #50, Kara Fusco scored 2 more points for her team. With less than a minute left in the first quarter, Perkiomen Valley’s Katie Hurd made another shot making the score 13-2 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter began and Perkiomen Valley added two more points to their score after player #30, Paige Tyson made another basket. In a battle for the ball, Boyertown player #14 took an elbow to the face and lied face down on the court for a moment. Spectators gasped and she stood up to reveal a bloody nose from the strike to her face but everyone applauded in respect as she exited the court to seek medical attention. The tension in the game was growing after Boyertown player #32 took two foul shots for her injured teammate and made them both. Seconds later another foul was called against Perkiomen Valley allowing Boyertown player #15 to sink two foul shots for her team. Perkiomen Valley player Riley McGettigan then went for a two-pointer that hit the rim but with the assistance of teammate #23 Katie Hurd the ball went in adding two more points to Perkiomen Valley’s score. Nearing the halfway mark of the quarter, Boyertown’s player #15 pushed through Perkiomen Valley’s defense and scored two points for her team. Shortly after, Boyertown’s player #23 sunk a three point shot now making the score 17-15. With just over a minute and a half left in the quarter Perkiomen Valley’s Riley Mcgettigan shot a two-pointer and made it. As the quarter came to an end another foul was called against Perkiomen Valley and Boyertown player #10 made one of her two foul shots making the score 19-16 heading into halftime.

The second half of the game moved rather quickly as Perkiomen Valley sophomore student Sara Nijssen ran up Perkiomen Valley’s score by four points with two baskets. Player #50 for Perkiomen Valley, Kara Fusco then scored two more points for her team. A foul was then called against Perkiomen Valley and Boyertown’s player #10 sank both of her foul shots. In the final minutes of the quarter a foul was called against Boyertown”s player #15 allowing Perkiomen Valley’s sophomore player #24 two foul shots. She made both shots as the Perkiomen Valley fans yelled “SWOOSH” as the ball went through the net. An additional two points was then scored by Perkiomen Valley making the score 29-18 heading into the final quarter of the game.

To start off the final quarter of the game Perkiomen Valley’s Paige Tyson made a two point shot. Boyertown player #23 then rebounded the ball and made a flawless three-point shot. A foul was then called against Perkiomen Valley and Boyertown player #14 returned from her injury and made both of the foul shots. Moments later another foul was called against Perkiomen Valley and Boyertown gained two more points after player #20 fulfilled both foul shots. The ball was back in Perkiomen Valley’s possession allowing player #22, Gabby Marinacci to make a two point shot for the Vikings. The Bears were still trailing by 8 points but received yet another foul in their favor gaining them two more points for #10’s successful shots. Freshman player #14 Kylie Monaco retrieved the ball and scored two more points for Perkiomen Valley. Boyertown’s player #14 gained one point for her team when she made of the two foul shots that she was granted after another foul was called against Perkiomen Valley. Player #15 for Boyertown made a two point shot as the clock trickled down and the end of the game neared. The score was getting tight when Boyertown player #20 fouled Perkiomen Valley’s Gabby Marinacci. Just before the clock timed out she made her foul shots and Perkiomen Valley spent the last 45 seconds of the game continuously passing the ball to run down the clock. After a rather aggressive game, the Vikings were victorious over the Bears with a final score of 37-31.   ♦