The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

New Year’s Resolutions: Fun to Make But Easy To Break

Jordan Schlachta, Writer

After Christmas each year, people all around the world find a desire to change themselves, and New Year’s Resolutions are a popular way to do that.

People make lists of what they would like to see change in their lives in the upcoming year with the hope that doing so will make the change happen. Lots of people are fairly private with what their resolutions are, but some students from Perkiomen Valley High School opened up about what they want to change for the New Year.

Hannah Morris, a musician that attends the school, stated, “My one New Year’s Resolution for the year is to practice my violin more. I’m setting a goal to practice anywhere from half an hour to an hour a day.”

Morris’s resolution is specific to her unique talent/interest, but there are some other resolutions that are common for all people to have. According to Time magazine, some of the top ten things that people make goals about for the New Year are stressing less, improving grades, losing weight, getting fit, and eating healthier/dieting. Most of these involve physical health, which proves to be a popular resolution choice around Perkiomen Valley as well.

“I only have two resolutions this year and they are to get fit and eat healthier”, Halle Moyer, a sophomore at the school, stated. “To do it i’m just going to run more on the track team and try to stay away from junk food as much as I can”.

Although most students make resolutions involving fitness for personal reasons, such as physical appearance, other students have made these resolutions due to their medical state.

Meghan Crooks, a sophomore at Perkiomen Valley, stated, “I want to start doing my physical therapy exercises that I have to do on time. I also want to start walking around for over 2 minutes; I usually walk my dog a couple times a day, but I still want to walk some more to stay healthy and such”.

Exercise related resolutions may be the most commonly made, but are also the goals that are most commonly broken according to another list created by Time magazine. They were on top of the list of most broken resolutions next to stressing less, volunteering more, and saving money.

“I made a couple resolutions last year as well, but I didn’t stick with them, which is what usually ends up happening”, Moyer commented. “I don’t really know why people break them, but it seems like everybody does”.

There are many theories as to why people break resolutions related to staying fit, and Shape magazine has quite a few. They believe that it could be due to people keeping their resolutions to themselves instead of telling others so that other people can remind them to go to the gym everyday or stay away from chips/candy. Another theory they have is that people make unrealistic fitness goals, like losing twenty pounds in one month, which can be disheartening when they make little to no progress.

Hannah Morris had a theory of her own, “People feel like they are allowed to give up, so they just do”.

No matter how many times people break their resolutions though, most continue making them in the hopes that this will be the year that they accomplish it. ◆