The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Harry Potter: A Year In Review

Alex Strang, Writer

2016 was a roller coaster of emotions for fans of the Harry Potter series.

JK Rowling had a huge year. During 2016, she released The Cursed Child screenplay along with the play and Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them screenplay and movie. Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them received many positive views, but The Cursed Child didn’t do too well.

“I was really disappointed by The Cursed Child”, says Kaity Bly, an avid Harry Potter supporter. “It felt like it was a badly written fanfiction and the heteronormativity really upset me.”

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child came out last July. Many people were really upset over the relationship between Albus and Scorpius. Many fans have been asking for a LGBTQ+ relationship from JK but she has only given us Dumbledore. People are annoyed that she added a relationship with no connection into the story when Albus and Scorpius should have gotten together.

Luckily, she redeemed herself with Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, a hugely successful movie.

“I loved the movie. I felt really connected with Newt as he was awkward and shy and we don’t see enough heroes like that”, said Sam, who has been a fan of Harry Potter for two years now.

Many people are really offended by the push of heterosexuality. People don’t understand how JK claims to be supportive but does not add any LGBTQ+ relationships into her books.

Rose, who turns up at rare occasions, is conveniently forgotten till she used as a measurement of comparative success or as the love interest for Scorpius Malfoy, as if she is only present to show one of the protagonists is a heterosexual male.” This was a popular belief from the news source, FirstPost.

There has been a lot of talk about JK having some LGBTQ+ representation. She did say Dumbledore was homosexual but he was in love with a villain so people are upset with that representation. She also talked about how Dean and Seamus were together, but she didn’t write about it because she didn’t want it to take away from the original plot.

Luckily, The Fantastic Beast movie helped JK redeem herself. The Fantastic Beast got an 82% on Rotten Tomatoes.

2016 was a big year for potterheads. There were a lots of ups and downs with The Cursed Child having problems but The Fantastic Beast becoming one of the biggest movies in 2016. Needless to say, no matter one’s opinions on The Cursed Child of Fantastic Beast, this was a very Harry Potter filled year!