The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

The Day of Silence Reflection

The Day of Silence is every year on April 15th to show support for the LGBT+ community.

Alex of GSA

Alex of GSA

Rachel Marks and Connor Letterio

The Day of Silence this year was an astounding and record breaking success. After the school day was over, a party was held for all participators. Thirty two students showed up to the Break the Silence Party from all four grades,  but even more participated during the day. We talked about our experiences during the day, both negative and positive, but the positive messages definitely shown through brighter than the negatives.

Many students did tell stories of those who did not accept the day, but the negative stories tended to repeat themselves. Many people harassed those who participated by using the message of remaining silent as a weapon against them. People were generally horrible to those who remained silent in this way, which gave those who participated another valuable lesson to take home. The LGBT+ community suffers the same taunts and the same harassing, if not in greater ways than normal. This event highlighted the importance for LGBT+ members to have a safe place, either within their friend group or among perfect strangers. We all need to show our support to stop the bullying of people who are simply attempting to be happy.

The positive stories people told about the powerful message that this event had showed how it made people feel comfortable in their own skin and the positive community of Perkiomen Valley. People talked about how teachers shifted class schedules to compliment the day, and how others pledged that if they knew about it sooner they would have adjusted the schedule to allow all students to not have to break their silence. There were stories of friends showing their support of those who chose to participate, and those who, as soon as they learned what was happening, joined the movement. There were stories of how people struggled to make it through the day, which caused them to realize a powerful message, that the LGBT+ community struggled the same way every single day.

Personally, I felt the power behind the message as I participated. The struggle to stay silent among those who you love, the amazing feeling when someone understood what you were attempting to do and supported you in it, the coordination of the GSA club to accomplish this day throughout the school, the smiles on the closeted people’s face that I knew, the character and personality that people showed while silent, and the sheer amount of participators that showed love towards the community.

The final meeting for this school year  of the gay straight alliance club is on May 19. Even if you didn’t participate, all are welcome.