The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants

Our+lovable+friend+Spongebob+originally+aired+in+1999+on+Nickelodeon.+
Our lovable friend Spongebob originally aired in 1999 on Nickelodeon.

www.fanpop.com

www.fanpop.com

Dylan Schell, writer

Everyone since they were a child, and if they had a childhood, had tuned in at some point to see Spongebob Squarepants on Nickelodeon. Ever since The Spongebob Squarepants Movie came out in 2004, and Stephen Hillenburg left, the show has been in a complete downhill spiral. The plot lines are bland, and the characters are flat.

Today, the plot lines for the broadcast are one of the following: Spongebob goes to work, Spongebob and Patrick annoy Squidward, or Spongebob and Patrick get into some dumb activity. The characters in the show have grown boring, and due to this, the quality of the show has declined. The series has gotten too predictable, and every episode feels redundant.

The characters have changed over the years as well, and because of their shifts, their vivid personas have deflated. Spongebob transformed from an innocent, kind, and misguided character to an absolute moron. Patrick follows suit. Mr. Krabs went from a hard working business owner and a caring father to someone who solely revolves around wealth. his demeanor has become simple, greedy, and bland.  Squidward went from smart, witty, and cultured, to hateful and repetitive through performing the same actions every episode. At last, Sandy Cheeks is barely even seen in the show today; it’s as if the producers got rid of her.

What happened to the days of funny, random one liners? What happened to the hilarious and entertaining plot lines? We all miss the days when Patrick would have his random moments of brilliance, Spongebob would have his hilarious moments working at the Krusty Krab, and Squidward would have his witty or smart comments for anything anyone does. We all miss the funny quotes and jokes. Spongebob is on borrowed time right now; The only reason the show is aired today is because of merchandising. If the writers don’t change something fast, then the beloved series will drift away as a distant memory.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants”

1. Neil D on March 10th, 2017 11:29 pm

For me, the show got bland for me later than many others did, and it was more gradual. I thought that Season 1 was ok, Season 2 even better, and Seasons 3-4 being the best. Season 5 had a number of ones I thought were good, but not as many, and Season 6 some good some bad. Then from Season 7 onward was when it was too stale most of the time.

I don’t think it was so much that SpongeBob got dumber as much as it was him being less witty and having less of a personality in general. He got more boring and nerdy. Patrick did not really seem more stupid in later episodes. I actually thought he was funnier and in a way more dumb earlier on, and that is what made me like him as a character. Later on, though, he’s just more boring, and is stupid in a less sophisticated way.

Squidward still was an angry grouch before, but he’s seems more apathetic now than cold and witty.

Mr. Krabs became merely the embodiment of greed, without any of the previous things about him, and Plankton from a great cheesy villain to being some loser with no life. Then there’s Sandy who went from the karate-chopping, friendly, and loving science to just loving science and not being around often.

“If the writers don’t change something fast, then the beloved series will drift away as a distant memory.” In a sense, the series already has drifted into memory. The SpongeBob we see is not the SpongeBob we all loved to see in the past.

I miss the old SpongeBob, and still watch the episodes I like when I can. The good shows have gone it seems. Nickelodeon needs to come up with some good shows if they want to be able to survive, because SpongeBob will end one way or another as all shows do.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants

Arts and Entertainment

No One Deserves To Disappear: Dear Evan Hansen

• The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants

Arts and Entertainment

Alexandra Savior Releases Debut Album ‘Belladonna of Sadness’

• The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants

Arts and Entertainment

Sesame Street Introduces Muppet On Autism Spectrum

• The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants

Showcase

NFL Mock Draft: Broken Teams and New Dreams

• The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants

Arts and Entertainment

Dear Storytellers: There Is No ‘One Autist Limit’

• The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants

Arts and Entertainment

‘New Gumball in February’ CN Event Reviewed

• The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants

Arts and Entertainment

‘Curious’ Broadway Hit Comes To Philadelphia

• The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants

Arts and Entertainment

Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Basketball

PV Boys Basketball Beats Neshaminy in Overtime Craziness

• The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants

Arts and Entertainment

How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days: A Classic Rom-Com With An Ironic Twist

The Decline of Spongebob Squarepants