The student news site of Perkiomen Valley High School

The Voice

• November 30Interested writers, artists, editors and photographers: Join The Voice! Meetings on Tuesdays!

Freshman Frenzy: Seniority at Perkiomen Valley

Becca DeFreese and Macy Gray, writer

With their oversized backpacks, overbearing amount of questions, and naive attitudes, freshmen are an easy target for upperclassmen. The question is, do they take the bait?  

Here at Perkiomen Valley High School, both under and upperclassmen have their opinions on what they think goes on in “teasing” freshmen.  Fifty Perkiomen Valley students from all grades took a poll that asked three different questions pertaining to how the freshmen are treated in this district.

Forty-four percent of  PV students say that they think freshmen are occasionally treated differently than the other classes, forty-two percent of the students polled say that freshmen are definitely treated differently, and fourteen percent said that the underclassmen are not treated any differently by the other classes.

When asked if these results surprised him, Connor Brandon, a freshmen, said, “Yes, because from personal experience upperclassmen haven’t been that bad towards me and I think that people tell you that upperclassmen will pick on you when you’re a freshman. That’s honestly a myth that people see in movies because it hasn’t happened to me.” It is obvious that Brandon has had no problems with other the classes, and personally doesn’t see freshmen being treated badly throughout the school. There are also the opinions from each perspective.

Rachel Brandon of the Senior Class believes that freshmen are treated differently. When asked why, she responded, “I think it happens naturally because the upperclassmen have just been around longer, and the freshmen are new and fairly inexperienced. I think it’s a part of human nature.”

On the other end, Lauren Kocsi of the Junior Class stated why she believes that the underclassmen are not treated negatively.

“Upperclassmen don’t really pay close attention to the freshmen. We don’t bother them if they don’t bother us. Typically we don’t even know who the freshmen are in comparison to sophomores or other other classes.”

Many of the students have a split view, and say it depends on the person or the situation. Brianna Whithed of the Sophomore Class agrees with this stance. To defend this position, she said, “Some people care about whether or not the people in their classes are freshmen, but a lot of people don’t. They may get teased, but the upperclassmen will still help them.”

Twenty percent of students believe that the way freshmen are treated is unfair because everyone was a freshmen at some point; however, Thirty-eight percent of the students polled said that they disagreed. The majority of students, forty-four percent, said that occasionally, upperclassmen do not consider that they were once in the same place.

When it comes to the freshmen vs. upperclassmen ordeal, some students question whether upperclassmen deserve to have seniority. Seniority is defined as “priority, precedence, or status obtained as the result of a person’s length of service, as in a profession, trade, company, or union.”, according to Dictionary.com.

When asked if the juniors and seniors should have this seniority, forty-four percent of PV students from 9th to 12th grade said that they believe upperclassmen deserve it. Only fourteen percent (7 of the 50 students polled) disagreed. Forty-two percent of the freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors said they believe it all depends on the situation.

It seems there are some mixed views on freshman here at Perkiomen Valley. Stay tuned!